Welcome to February, 2019
We held our first 5th Thursday of the month on January 31st at Scorchers in Lorain. Despite the freezing temperatures, we had a turnout of 20 people. Everyone had a fantastic time socializing with fellow Rotarians, spouses, past Rotarians (including that school up north grad named Sanford) and 2 potential new members. Those of you who could not attend missed a great time and we hope to see you at the next one to be held on Thursday May 30, 2019 – place to be determined.
On February 28th our Rotary Club will again co-host Mayor Ritenauer’s State of the City address at the Antler's Ballroom starting at noon. The cost of the event will be $15 (cost of meal and venue). We will have signup sheets at our February meetings - if you sign up you must pay as a meal will be ordered for you.
February 17, 2019 is “Random Acts of Kindness Day”. To help celebrate this day, I would like our Rotary club to help our local Lorain Blessing House by collecting and donating some needed supplies to this organization. Blessing House is a children’s crisis care center, caring for children birth through 12, whose parents or caregivers are facing a crisis or emergency or who are experiencing a high level of stress that might put their children at risk of abuse or neglect. Some of the items needed by Blessing House are:
- Diapers – size 5-6 and pull ups – size 4-5
- $10 gas cards
- Pre-school workbooks and flash cards – can be purchased at dollar stores or Wal-Mart
I would appreciate if you bring any items you can to the first 3 meeting this month where I will collect then and deliver to the Blessing House on February 22nd.
Since this is “Random Acts of Kindness Month”, here are 5 fun activities you can practice at home or in our community.
- Do a chore for another family member without being asked.
- Pick up trash around your neighborhood.
- Write a hand written letter to a relative or friend and MAIL it.
- Send an anonymous care package to someone who could use encouragement.
- Share your favorite book with a friend or leave in a public place for a stranger to find. Leave a note in the book explaining why it’s your favorite.
To quote Frank Clark, “Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out”
And lastly, February 14th is Valentine’s Day – be sure to do something “special” for your spouse or your special valentine.
Ron Mantini, President